MMF3 ON OLYMPUS E-M1 corner to corner sharpness issues.

Started Feb 28, 2016 | Questions thread
Colin in Amsterdam Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: MMF3 ON OLYMPUS E-M1 corner to corner sharpness issues.

Tricky subject to be objective about (no pun intended) without very rigorous testing (which most of us can't be bothered with).  But I am certain my FT 7-14 zoom delivers dodgy images with the MMF3 converter especially at the wide end (which is why I use it - I have other lenses for 11mm+).  The story that MMF3s always get looser over time even if fine today is also credible (if largely anecdotal, never seen any testing on that subject).
My solution was to buy a second-hand E5.  While it's no secret that camera isn't as flexible as the EM1 the image quality with the FT 7-14 is certainly better.  I'm also minded to use the E5 with the heavier f2 FT zooms - certainly saves wear on the MMF3s; similar image quality (I have had no edge quality concerns on my EM1 with these), though of course the camera is less flexible so this only really works in good easy daylight situations - ho hum.
But this discussion does leave me with the question of whether I should buy a couple of spare new MMF3s for the longer term once my current two begin to suffer from 'wear and tear'.

Colin in Amsterdam's gear list:Colin in Amsterdam's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Air +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow