Lens purchase decision - advice please

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP TeeJay626 Regular Member • Posts: 374
Re: Lens purchase decision - advice please

Andy01 wrote:

I think that the number of threads on here questioning/complaining about either IQ or AF on the 3rd party 150-600mm lenses outweighs the ones commenting how good they are.

This question has come up before (several times) and the answer is always the same - unless you are seriously budget constrained, the Canon EF 100-400L ii is the BEST EF mount lens you can buy in this range (and by range I am including both focal length and price before someone suggests that the EF 200-400L f4 is better).

Also, the fact that your 77D does not have AFMA would also tend to nudge me towards the Canon 100-400L ii. Yes, some of the 3rd party lenses can be adjusted on a dock, but there is nowhere to go on the body.

Isn't there some BF deals (maybe refurbished) on the Canon that might bring the price down a bit ?

Colin

Unfortunately, the BF deals so far are non existent on Canon lenses that I have seen, especially on their refurb site.

I'm definitely not against 3rd party lenses, as I currently have an excellent copy of the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 Contemporary lens and for my wife's T3i, I upgraded her Sigma 18-250 to the newer 18-300 Contemporary.  I was very pleased with the results with that combination for her.  I do have the Sigma dock, and haven't needed to make any adjustments to these lenses, other than firmware updates.

As I said, I am definitely leaning towards the 100-400L, but I do like the option of finally having a 70-200 in my bag.

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H55 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 80D Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow