Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 with R2 TTL receivers (Nikon)

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Billie Lynn Ross
Billie Lynn Ross New Member • Posts: 22
Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 with R2 TTL receivers (Nikon)

(All Nikon equipment)
I just picked up a Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 strobe since it was on sale for a good price. I've also got two R2 TTL receivers and one R2 Mk1 Transmitter.

I have no issues with the transmitter and receivers with my SB900's. It works wonderfully. I've even used them with my Quantium QF8N with no issues.

So I picked up Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 strobe and as an on-camera flash or as an i-TTL slave using the R2 Transmitter it works perfectly.

Now when I use Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 strobe as the transmitter (Master) on camera. I set the M group to off/on (doesn't matter), and try to shoot with my SB900's in TTL mode and all I keep getting are full power bursts. The preflash isn't working, ISO, and aperture are also not working or being communicated to the SB900's. Hitting the FEL button does not fire the remote flashes unless I do FEL-on FEL-off FEL-on. This triggers a full power burst from the remotes and I can shoot with a proper exposure for the scene until FEL is released. But there is still no preflash or anything else being communicated to the SB900's connected to the R2-receivers.

According to the Manual for the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 strobe it lists the following features:
-- R2 TTL communication flashes as a Master or Slave.
-- Remote Nikon iTTL power control with the Flashpoint R2 system

These features tell me it should work properly with the R2 receivers when used as the master.

So can anyone else set this up and see if their setup works, so I know I have a defective one, or the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 strobe needs a firmware update to fix everything.

The Setup:
- Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 flash on camera in master mode
--- "M" group set to "--"
--- "A" group set to "TTL"
- An SB900 mounted on an R2 TTL receiver. (SB910 or unit that shows ISO on screen)
--- Set to normal "On" mode. (not master or slave)
--- Set to TTL-BL mode. (should auto-change when you turn on the receiver if it was in TTL to start)

# Press the test-fire sync button on Flashpoint Zoom Li-on R2 flash, to make sure they are talking and the remote fires properly.

The Test:
Simply try to shoot as if the SB900 is a remote TTL flash.
Test FEL & none FEL.
See if the aperture, ISO are ever updated on the SB900 screen as you change them on the camera and shoot.

I'm betting I'm not the only one who has discovered this issue. I hope they have a 1.3 firmware coming out to fix this as it isn't compatible like the manual says it is.

Thank you in advance to anyone who is able to confirm this is a limitation of the Flashpoint Zoom Li-on X R2 Flash.

-- hide signature --

S.C.U.F.I.
Shoot Close Up For Impact!

Billie Lynn Ross's gear list:Billie Lynn Ross's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +7 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow