Reviewers - impact of your comments

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MNE Senior Member • Posts: 1,367
Reviewers - impact of your comments

The sale of Olympus imaging got me a little down, like other m43 users. I sometimes feel that the impact of reviewers' comments are contributing to photographic equipment sales.

I am sure that the following comments will get me a lot of backlash, but here it goes:

For a long time, I felt that DPReview reviews are biased and Olympus is always brushed aside. I asked in a separate thread about long-term quality and reliability being included in the reviews -- I think that is more important than if an alternative camera is better because it is APSC etc ...

I think that the rationale behind m43 is lost in the reviews also. I bought into m43 due to 1) size, 2) weight 3) cost, 4) open platform -- very wide variety of lenses for example.

I really respect Gordon Laing's reviews because they are balanced and realistic, but there were some comments in his E-M1 II review that really annoyed me. He frequently compared the E-M1 II with the Nikon D500, mostly about focus tracking performance. Why would anyone compare these two cameras? A person looking at m43 would not want to consider the D500 as an option, I know I would never.

My brother has a D500 and a 300 2.8. I spent too many years lugging around very heavy Nikon equipment in a backpack. It usually stayed at home. Now, my m43 system comes with me everywhere and fits in a small shoulder bag.

But, if you want to compare the E-M1 II with the D500, here is what I consider (Gordon says the two cameras are about the same cost, so I left that out.)  I used lenses in my comparison that Gordon did not mention. I added them to make my point clear.

D500    3.94 lbs

E-M1 II  1.28lbs

Nikon 600 f4 VR

•      $12,000+
  •      8.4lbs
  •      17" long
  •      4 stops stabilization 

Olympus 300 f4 Pro

• $2,750
  • 3.25lbs
  • 9" long
  • 6 stops stabilization

Should these systems be compared in a review?   Reviewers,  PLEASE compare apples to apples and do not leave out the non-functional considerations (long-term reliability, serviceability etc)

Sorry for my pent up frustration...

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
MNE
MNE
MNE
MNE
MNE
MNE
MNE
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow