Entry lever interchangeable lens cameras

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,490
Re: Entry lever interchangeable lens cameras

Bobthearch wrote:

PhotoTeach2 wrote:

Being in Nikon land myself I suggested a d3x00

I never recommend D3xxx unless budget is "only" priority (and satisfied w/ only basic features).

My kid has the D3300, brand new with two lenses for $299. The feature list may be budget, but there's nothing wrong with the photos:

I fully agree there is nothing wrong with the "images". The image IQ is fully equal to any other APS size sensor camera, provided one has the time and skill to produce it within the constraints of its limited options/features.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9202664723/nikon-d3300-sample-images

The biggest drawback is that it lacks dual wheels, which are critical for convenient use of manual mode.

Bridge cameras can be controlled by one thumb-wheel that can alternate between A/P/EV faster than accessing separate wheels and never moving hands/fingers.

And there is no bracketing function.

They have "auto" bracketing, (@ almost instanteous 12/20fps), since bracketing can be very problematic w/ moving subjects.

I'd guess few first-time photographers need to bother with either of these anyway.

Why not ... (if quick and easy) ... they can make the difference between good/bad/GREAT image.

The CIPA rating is excellent for a small battery, 700 shots. The camera and lenses are very lightweight and compact, great for travel and backpacking. The interchangeable lenses make it possible to custom-tailor a kit for each person's needs depending on their desired focal length, size and weight, lens quality, and of course price.

Is 24 to 400/600mm-e @ f/2.4-4 not enough, (and you can get both UWA & MACRO w/ adapters.

The only thing missing is indeed a faster prime.

The ergonomics are a bit cramped for me, especially compared to the D7100 I'm accustomed to. And the lack of physical buttons (again, compared to the D7100) means that using the rear LCD info screen and some menu-diving are unavoidable even during the most casual shooting.

The lack of a proper Nikon accessory port puts me off the D3400 and D3500, although the image quality of these models is also excellent.

https://www.dpreview.com/sample-galleries/9111488384/nikon-d3500-sample-gallery/8588626651

Frankly, I cannot tell the difference in image quality between any of the modern 24mp APS-C sensor cameras. D3300, D3400, D3500, D5500, D5600, D7100, D7200...

Exactly my above point.

The difference is the speed & convenience and additional options/features of a "bridge" camera that allow faster and more accurate exposure/focusing in a (10X) greater variety of situations. Thus more shooting opportunities.

All of these lead to more "FUN" and satisfaction.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow