What is wrong with AF Area?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,104
Re: What is wrong with AF Area?

Qbalion wrote:

Qbalion wrote:

Hi,

I noticed some strange focus behaviour on the last few pictures taken by someone else with my Z50. It seems like the camera focuses on a different area that is selected for the focus. Please see two below examples.

AF-C priority is set on the focus (not on release) and AF-S priority is not in the menu of Z50.

Any ideas what could cause such focus problems?

Af area mark over the middle person

and actual focus on the trees behind

Af area marks over the trees

And the actual focus is luckily not that far from the face

for 1st picture (3 guys) the modes are SCN Autumn with its default AF-A and Auto AF area.

Capture NX info of the first case

For the 2nd it was portrait Scene also with default AF-A and Auto AF

because AF-A is not the same as AF-C I'd suppose that the shoots were re-composed after af focused... or...

there is a bug with showing the selected af area in playback mode of Z50

In general, Nikon focus has a bit of a reputation for grabbing onto contrasty backgrounds too readily. That might be what happened in your second photo.

The AF-A and Auto area modes leave a lot to the camera. If you are going to shoot with these settings, you need to keep an eye on where the focus point is landing while shooting. If you find focus is not where you want it, then you have to change out of portrait scene mode and learn to take more control over the focus with other settings.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow