JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 31,505
Re: Why expose ETTR and how to do it?

incoherent1 wrote:

Erik Kaffehr wrote:

Dirk Dittert wrote:

Erik,

thanks for sharing!

I wonder if it would be possible to design an image sensor that can stop the exposure when a certain number of photosite reaches 100% capture capacity. Basically that would be a sensor with protection against clipping.

I don't really think so. Stopping exposure is almost the same as clipping. What really happens is that the photodiode does not really saturate, but the voltage exceeds the maximum of the ADC.

Yabut. Before actual exposure, during metering, the camera could determine which of the multiple metering spots was brightest ("has voltage exceeding maximum of ADC"), and adjust exposure (by whatever exposure mode the photograher has chosen) to point of full clipping (maximum voltage) (or some level below, adjustable by exposure compensation we are used to). What am I missing?

Not much, but no manufacturer as far as I know, has bothered to implement this. There is Magic Lantern, if you have the right Canon.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow