£15,000 versus £3,000 !

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,230
£15,000 versus £3,000 !

Many here are commenting on the the new Olympus 150-400 re price/value/image quality, etc.

On Sunday morning I was photo documenting a friend assembling and launching his diy floating bird hide for a talk he will be presenting.

After which I settled on the river bank and happily snapped away at anything that appeared. ... And of course so did he.

Because I was able to get low, although not from the same direction, many images were a similar style. Unfortunately it was very early dawn and under heavy grey cloud. Which meant the light was dim and direction-less.

The results were very interesting.

He was using approximately £15,000+ worth of kit, Nkon 600mm f4 prime, plus their top end DSLR mounted on a gimbal.

I was using approximately £3,000 of kit: Panasonic PL100-400 zoom and Olympus em1-mk2, handheld.

Despite the shutter speed for me being very slow I did manage some nice shots which were not that dissimilar to his, but it has to be said his images had a certain wonderful quality that mine didn't.

The front pupil of the Nikon lenses was about 7" across  whereas the PL100-400 is probably around 4". So without doing the maths, he was collecting between 2-4 times as much light and of course being f4 on a 35m sensor it had a beautifully smooth bokeh. A faster aperture certainly helps a lot in these circumstances.

So for those considering the expense v value of the new Olympus 150-400 f4.5 I would say just this. If you can afford it and can carry it, definitely go for it, you won't be disappointed. It would certainly have helped me a lot to have had that faster aperture.

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow