Camera system buying advise for spouse

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sandiegosteve
sandiegosteve Forum Member • Posts: 66
Camera system buying advise for spouse

My wife enjoys photography and I got her a camera probably 15 years ago. It is a Sony A57 and it does ok. She likes the family shots the most, occasional landscapes and generally documenting life. I'm a fairly serious sports photographer, enjoy landscapes and am not too into general family shots.

She has a birthday coming up and I'm thinking maybe to get her a more modern camera. Better high ISO (good 3200 is probably fine), better AF, video (maybe) and obviously good image quality (~20MP is probably fine too).

I think there are two types of options; something compatible with my kit or something more all around like a micro 4 thirds. I shoot Nikon F mount/DSLR.

So, anyone have any experience around getting their spouse the same or a different camera system?

Pros:
The Fuji/Panasonic option - smaller, easier to carry and a blend between point and shoot and manual control.

Nikon Z mount or DSLR - can share lenses.  I would at least know the setting to help with if she needs custom white balance or some other tweak.

Cons:
Fuji/Panasonic - I don't know the systems and wouldn't be much help in their menus. Not sure of flash gear would be compatible. Can't share lenses.

Nikon - Could share lenses; I use a lot of it when getting paid to do events and I don't want something key missing. FX gear is bigger and heavier.

sandiegosteve's gear list:sandiegosteve's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow