Exploring wide end options

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
adventure_photo
adventure_photo Contributing Member • Posts: 839
Re: Exploring wide end options

Mark Sloe wrote:

adventure_photo wrote:

Some options I would personally consider based on your needs:

Sony 20 f/1.8 FE - maybe too close to 24 for you? But amazing small lens with fast aperture useful for many things and for me I find 20mm the perfect focal length for the way I see ‘wide angle’ and I do not find it too close to 24mm.

i were to stretch my budget in this focal length (which i will not this time around), i would go with loxia 21mm instead. but as mentioned, i would like something wider.

Understood, fwiw, I had the Zeiss Loxia 21 and it’s a fine lens for sure but 21mm was for me just too close to 24mm and overall I preferred the rendering from the Sony 20 1.8 and sold the Loxia to fund that. Plus the 20 is faster and better for Astro, AF when needed and shallow depth of field for creativity and closer focusing abilities were some of my main reasons.

Zeiss Batis 18mm - bulkier than the Samyang but better image quality.

batis 18mm is very tempting, but fails on size and budget.

Sounds like Batis would work in terms of focal length but is too big and more expensive. Why not just try the Samyang 18mm and go for it? Might be the perfect size and fits the budget. Sounds like many people get great copies and really like it. Maybe try that and you can always return it or sell it if you don’t like it. B&H has it for $100 off now and it also has a 4.5/5 rating from people who bought it

Tamron 17-28mm - probably your best bet for best compromise and most versatility.

Sony Zeiss 16-35mm f/4 - I love mine but may be too big for the 5L?

it would fit, but i am not a fan. i would rather go for the tamron 17-28mm for the money.

-- hide signature --
 adventure_photo's gear list:adventure_photo's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony a7C Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton +31 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow