Tamron 70-180/2.8 with A6500 or A6600

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
math guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,691
Re: Tamron 70-180/2.8 with A6500 or A6600

I use it with the A6400, so I can't comment on IBIS. My primary use of the lens is for sports, anyway, so IBIS wouldn't really be a factor for me.

I used it this season for shooting my son's flag football games, and I was very happy with it. I'd say the IQ is on par with the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 I used to shoot on a Pentax DSLR, which was a very good lens. The AF is consistent, with very few complete misses (something I used to deal with frequently when shooting Pentax). The eye AF works well so long as the camera can see the face. That's been a real game-changer for me, giving me a lot more quality keepers than I ever got with my old system.

As far as portraits go, it holds its own pretty well. The bokeh doesn't stand out as being super dreamy, but it's also not busy and distracting. It's just there and allows the main subject of the image to be what attracts all the attention. And the IQ is already very good wide open, so no need to stop down - especially for portraits.

The only criticism I can think of is that it isn't an internal zoom. My old 70-200 was, and that is definitely a nice feature... just gave the lens a more upscale feel. I'm happy with carrying only 70% of the weight (even less when you throw in mirrorless vs. DSLR), so it's a good trade-off in my opinion.

All in all I'm very happy with it. I can't imagine too many people would buy this lens and be disappointed with its performance.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~ Albert Einstein

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow