Filter Step Up Rings

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,765
Re: Filter Step Up Rings

pcrc11 wrote:

I am looking for a GOOD step up ring for 82mm filter on a 77mm Lens. I am using Polar Pro filters and already have a brass Luzid step up ring. This thing will instantly lock onto the filter as soon as it bottoms out and makes the slightest contact on the filter surface. Only way I can remove it is to keep it under a hot lamp until it expands just enough to release. I have looked at multiple step up rings on BH site and there is not a single one that does not have reviews claiming they stick as well,, including the very expensive ones. What are some suggestions as to what works or provides a suitable solution to solve this problem short of coating the surface with oil or grease as I am not really keen on doing it that close to my glass.

Sticky rings: I find the solution is as old as - wipe a finger down the side of the nose and then wipe that finger on the offending threads before assembly. They then come apart easily.

Always have a pair of rubber gloves, like washing up kitchen gloves, they can also help get more grip when rings stick. Plus gentle heat of course at times as you already know.

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow