Is the A6600 a good upgrade?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 1,498
Re: Is the A6600 a good upgrade?

newphotoman wrote:

I know some of you may mention FF but I am not looking for FF at this time. I have looked at the A 7 III and it was tempting but the weight and the fact that I have to get new glass is something that I do not want to deal with now.

I am using the A6300 and I tend to do a combination of action/portraits (running) and landscape photos. The new 6600 does have 3 items that I am eyeing

• real time AF (not in a6300)
  • additional custom buttons
  • IBIS

It's nice to have as I don't have any of them on my A6300. It's just I don't know if those 3 additionally improvements are worth dropping 1K.

For those who jumped from a6300 (or older) to A6600 can you let me know if the IBIS and real time AF is a difference maker.

I would also count much better battery and bigger grip. In general there are many small improvements over A6300.

Regarding IBIS, only you can really know if it's improvement for you. Regarding your description, if you shoot landscapes on tripod, you will not use IBIS at all.

I have A6400, my favourite lens is 24f1.8, so it is not stabilized setup. Sometimes I miss stabilisation for handheld landscape and nature details (shot on f5.6-8), but not that much to buy A6600.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Canon EOS RP Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow