Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 FAQ

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Petr Bambousek
Petr Bambousek Regular Member • Posts: 376
Olympus 150-400mm/4.5 FAQ

Hello,

well, "Gandalf the White" is here ready for testing. There is best seasonto make some real life tests out there - foggy, dull days, no leaves on trees, all birds silent or migrated out

... OooO ...

I would like to build some FAQ regarding to this lens and make conclusion in upcoming review. Before you ask, here is DISCLAIMER

+ I have no 100-400mm, 300mm and TC 2x to compare sharpness at an infinite number of their combination

+ It can take a while before I reply and most likely you will find my point of view in upcoming review

VERY VERY FIRST OBSERVATIONS:

+ It is made to be handheld. It is incredibly ballanced and therefore feels very light.

+ Once you hold the lens there are naturally placed both buttons and zoom ring

+ You will probably need two steps rotation to get from 150 to 400 (150-280 and 280-400), same backward (400-200, 200-150). Zoom ring is very smooth as well as AF ring.

+ TC is placed exactly where you want to be - just stretch right-hand finger and you are there, TC activation is extremely smooth.

+ All in all you will not make any visible movemets from, let say, bird's perspective to zoom there and back as wel as de/activate TC.

+ Copared to Canon 200-400, Canon is much more tripod oriented, all buttons are out of handheld position as well as TC is on the left side of lens and hard to work while handheld, but easy accessible on tripod.

+ Regarding to IS performance - my observation so far: at 400mm: 1/8s about 1 out of 10 pure sharp, 1/10s about 2 out of 10, 1/20s about 7 out of 10.

///

Well, if you have any question, let me know. Will do my best to try and answer.

///

IMPORTANT NOTICE: for those who don't like for any reason m43 - it is piece of crap, everything else is better

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR THOSE WHO LIKE ITS M43 GEAR:If you wanna safe your money, never ever touch this lens. Just promise. Even you will be pushed, never touch it. Or you will have dreamless nights

Petr Bambousek's gear list:Petr Bambousek's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow