Used p7700 for a beginner?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
p900learner
p900learner Senior Member • Posts: 1,289
Re: Used p7700 for a beginner?

Your criteria: up to $175, camera the young person can learn things and grow into, and a varied range of interests from nature/wildlife to landscape, friends, etc.

If possible to stretch that budget a bit I'd recommend a classic that continues to sell well as a used camera - the Canon PowerShot SX50 HS - introduced in 2012 - sports a 50X zoom, view finder, smallish/light weight, certainly not a pocket camera. Yes it has a small sensor, but its known for nice image quality, good image stabilization, controls are nicely placed. Its a dandy.

Personally, I wouldn't sell small sensor cameras too short - all about learning to use this or any camera.

Probably one of Canon's best selling point and shoot cameras of all time.

Still today when I'm on birding or nature walks with small group of people its fairly common to see the SX50. I can't recall reading any reviews or forum users complaining about the SX50.  I've seen many complain about the upgraded SX-60 model. In fact one of the best birders in my state uses an SX-50.

Shop carefully on ebay and I think you can find a nice one at a decent price. I see one now for $175.

This 2017 review may give you good idea compared to its SX-40 predecessor - https://sleeklens.com/canon-sx50-hs-review/

I've often though I should get one of these - just an all time classic. Not a camera collector so have let it go.

Be safe  - Ev

-- hide signature --
 p900learner's gear list:p900learner's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P950 FastStone Image Viewer PhotoScape
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow