When amateur is gear-haunted

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 1,546
Re: When amateur is gear-haunted

We recently upgraded all our gear. The motive to buy was driven by taking our old stuff all over the country and the camera body and our main lens quite literally falling apart. Cosmetic mostly, but just the same.  Rubber grips coming off.  That kind of thing.

I will say the new gear (mirrorless full frame) has made things easier to understand and execute vs our old entry level DSLR.  Also, the additional funds spent on a couple decent primes have improved portraits of kids. But fast primes would’ve helped with our old body too.

Most of my improvements this year have come from reading and understanding more about what I want to do in certain situations with particular subjects.

What I really need to work on (and where the pros have a significant edge) is composition and understanding how to pose subjects.  I also want to understand light  better.  I have a speed light that does okay with bounce and fill. I don’t need a big studio set. But I would like to get a decent reflector to use outdoors to fill a bit with natural light shots.  I wouldn’t know what to do with it if I had one right now.

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow