iPhone 12 Pro Max HDR? Is it always on except in night mode?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,652
iPhone 12 Pro Max HDR? Is it always on except in night mode?

I was under the impression that we had nightmode, then brighter than that, deep fusion for iPhone 11 Pro and after, then smart HDR.

However, the more I mess with it, it appears that it using deep fusion and smart HDR at the same time now.

When I manually turn HDR off I see how it looks, take a photo. I can be in dim conditions, if I turn HDR on, same composition, there is more dynamic range in the photo from turning the HDR on, then I go to the metadata and I see that deep fusion was turned on.

One could say, it's just using deep fusion and not smart HDR, but that can't be the case because I can turn the HDR off and it will have less dynamic range, for example, the window will be blown out with highlights.

I'm taking these photos in dark situations but not dark enough for night mode to turn on. And when it does I manually turn it off.

Has something changed in the way it uses smart HDR?

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow