Exploring wide end options

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mark Sloe Regular Member • Posts: 249
Exploring wide end options

Hi all,

I have A7R III with 24-105mm f4 and I sometimes find myself wanting to go a bit wider when shooting landscapes.

My considerations:

• size (not weight) - I have a 5l Peak Design Sling and the lens has to fit there along with the camera and 24-105mm. 80mm dia x 120mm length is an optimal maximum size to squeeze a blower and filters in as well.
  • across the frame sharpness performance comparable to my 24-105mm @24mm
  • has to take standard screw-in filters
  • should be a reasonable astro performer
  • up to ~£600, I would not mind buying second-hand

There are some very appealing options in the 20-21mm (CV 21mm f3.5, Tamron 20mm f2.8) but it feels like the AoV difference between the 24mm and 20-21mm would not be enough to justify the expense.

This leaves me with 3 options:

Samyang 18mm f2.8 - very cheap way of dipping my toes into UWA territory, very compact, but according to reviews not the sharpest alternative across the frame with reputed large variation among copies due to which I was never a fan of Samyang.

CV 15mm f4.5 - I love the idea of this lens, but 15mm is quite wide, perhaps too wide? Unfortunately, CV does not do anything between 15mm and 21mm.

Tamron 17-28mm f2.8 - at the push of my budget, Tamron would give me the flexibility to explore the wide end a bit more (17-18mm look vs 20-21mm look), but I would probably be shooting it mostly at its widest, so I am questioning the real world benefit of the flexibility. How does it perform vs the Samyang 18mm?

Any opinions, user experience or alternative suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks!

-- hide signature --
 Mark Sloe's gear list:Mark Sloe's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow