Minolta SR 20mm vs AF 20mm w LA EA4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tim Crammond Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
Minolta SR 20mm vs AF 20mm w LA EA4

I'm curious whether there's any difference optically between the old W.Rokkor XD 20mm f2.8 lenses and the original AF Minolta 20mm's. It's obvious the MF versions are attracting substantially higher prices, and I just wondered if this was due to any sensible reason.

I'm thinking of grabbing one for use with my a7III. My thinking at the moment is that if I can get one at the right price I may go for the SR lens. The LA EA4 adapter doesn't seem that much of an encumbrance when it has a big tele on it, but for me the more petite the lens, the more incrementally annoying the LA EA4 becomes. A dumb SR-NEX adapter is less of a nuisance, and with a 20mm prime AF isn't likely to be that huge a consideration.

That being said, if they're optically identical, I'm certainly not going to pay a premium for an older MF lens when the AF version is still a very solid lens.

Tim Crammond's gear list:Tim Crammond's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony a7 III Sony a6600 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +28 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow