Best printer to use for a small poster business

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,936
Re: Best printer to use for a small poster business

yasmino wrote:

I have been selling my prints for the last couple of years and it's slowly grown into a little business. Currently I use a printing company to print and dispatch my posters, but they have upped all their prices and I've wanted to get my own printer for a long time so now seems like the best time to do it.

I print in size A4-A2, full colour, very bold and bright prints, but i'm struggling to find a printer to buy as its a big investment. I have a budget of up to around £1500. On an average day I sell around 7-10 prints, so I will need one for regular use. I'm concerned at ink consumption, as professional printer ink from what ive seen is pretty expensive and you need a lot of different inks.

The best one ive found so far is the Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 but im struggling to gauge how many prints i can get out of one set of ink. It needs x12 80ml ink cartridges, so in total its £420 per set which seems a lot to me.

Can anyone recommend a good printer? Or reviews of the canon mentioned above?

The Canon Pro-1000 is a good printer, and a recent firmware upgrade lets it print longer that it's original limit of 22" (now over 46").  But is doesn't print from a roll.  So you either print to pre-cut sheets, or you cut from a roll.

I've been cutting from a roll, but feed is a problem.  I have to reverse roll the paper to get it flat.

Epson printers will print from rolls, so they are much more flexible.  Often I wish I'd gone that way.

I recommend getting a printer that is bigger than what you typically print.  If you are printing 17", then I would get a 24" printer.  Because if you are really printing fine art posters, that's the size you want to get to.  This will get you sizes that can be installed in commercial locations.  A 24" print can be matted to 32", a really good size for large areas.

You can use third party ink.  I run two printers, one with Canon ink and one with Precision Colors refill ink.  That takes a little effort to color match; out of the box they are very different especially in the blues.  But refill ink is a lot cheaper.  I think if you use good glass, you won't run the risk of fading.  Of course, the OEM ink is better and lasts longer, and for that you need to charge a premium to cover the costs.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow