Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 at 2 miles (3.2 Km)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
OP Bassam Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,268
Re: Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 at 2 miles (3.2 Km)

Albert Valentino wrote:

Bassam Guy wrote:

drj3 wrote:

Put it in LR, use Dehaze and raise the exposure (it will be somewhat noisy because of the underexposure). It appears even in the underexposed image to be much better than I would expect at that distance.

Thanks. I know I could PP this and get something better but this is a lens test, or a test of my expectations. The picture itself is mundane, as I live near DC.

These results mean nothin. First, the underexposure means more noise which means less sharpness. But, more importantly, testing lens sharpness on a subject 2 miles away is almost pointless except on the clearest of days. Atmospheric haze, with all the suspended dust and dirt over that distance is akin to looking through a dusty window. Test with something close like vehicle license plates, or trees on a windless day. One count the sharpest results. The lesser ones from a set reflect technique and conditions, the sharpest ones reflect the lens itself

I don't mean to be contrary but to me these results mean something. Like I said, I have no experience with lenses above 150mm.

My question was: "I have no experience with any lens longer than 150mm (300 FF equivalent), and now I have doubled that. Granted, this is underexposed but should I expect better?"

And, I infer from your reply, your answer is "no, you shouldn't expect better".

Thank you.

Bassam Guy's gear list:Bassam Guy's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow