Nikon Z5 or Sony a7rII for low light

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GreenStudio New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon Z5 or Sony a7rII for low light

I am having a hard time deciding which one to buy, Sony a7r2 or Nikon Z5. Both are priced the same at $1200, very tempting. I do own handful of Nikon FX lenses but have none for Sony FE. I do have quite a few native aps-c lenses for my a6000. I also own a lot of legacy Canon, Nikon, Minolta and Pentax lenses which I can adapt to either camera. Nikon S lenses are very expensive and I don't plan on buying one anytime soon.

If I go with Z5, I can use my AF-S lenses, but with FTZ adapter it is going to be ~800g and with a lens it is more than a kg of weight. Bulk is the reason why I stopped using my D7000.

If I go with 7r2, I will have to spend more to get some FE lenses.

I am okay with the big files from 7r2. My main hesitation with it is the lousy battery life. With my a6K, I have missed a lot of shots over the past years because the battery exhausted in the middle of a shoot. I believe it will be even worse with 7r2. This is one of the reasons why I stayed away from a7 and a7ii.

Lot of folks complain about the Sony ergo and menu, neither has been an issue for me with my a6K, I will take the a6K ergo anytime over my D7000.

I shoot mostly indoors in low light and some landscapes. I have read quite a few reviews on Z5, there is mention of its AF struggling in low light. Not sure how does 7r2 perform compared to it. If what is said is true, then definitely not the body I want to buy.

I shoot in manual mode quite frequently so lack of autofocus does not bother me, I am very comfortable and fast shooting with manual lenses. So, with Sony I will have quite a few 3rd party lenses to choose from which I see as a benefit.

I don't care for the video or dual card slots. Photography is just a hobby, I don't want to spend more than $1200 on a body, not interested in paying more for video features that I am not going to use.

With either system, I am looking at close to 300g increase in weight compared to my a6K which has been bothering me as well. Not many lightweight options out there, it is either Canon RP or Sony a7c. RP will be a totally new system for me and 7c is too expensive. If 7c was priced at $1200 or $1300, I would have bought it by now.

If any of you had to go through similar experience, greatly appreciate if you have any suggestions to share. Thank you!

Nikon D7000 Sony a6000 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow