GH5 Scratched Sensor?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Phocal
Phocal Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239
Re: GH5 Scratched Sensor?

felixgeen wrote:

Hello DPReview users,

I have a GH5 that I bought on eBay and recently discovered that the seller forgot to mention that when shooting above f/5 there are two big marks visible on the sensor.

So I bought a sensor cleaning kit on Amazon and tried carefully to clean the sensor myself, with no luck. Then I decided to take my camera to a professional camera shop in my city. They said they would certainly be able to clean this dirt off the sensor and charged me 29EUR for a 7 day wait. But when I went back to collect my camera today they told me that the sensor is actually scratched and there is no way to repair it.

I accepted this and walked away feeling disappointed. But the more I think about it the more I think it cant be the sensor which is scratched because when I look closely at some shots I can see the dirt/scratches move around when the camera is moving a lot.

Here is a cropped view of one of the the marks (no post effects or stabilisation is applied to this video, just a crop). Surely this means that the scratch/dirt must be on some piece of glass not touching the sensor since presumably this wobble is coming from the IBIS?

To make matters more confusing: on some shots with slightly less erratic camera movement (but still a lot of hand held camera wobble) the mark does no move at all, this is with IBIS enabled still:

Really struggling to understand exactly what is going on here and how much it will cost to repair since if a professional camera repair shop cant do it, then who can?

I would find a different shop

and for how much money?

Kind regards,

Felix

Phocal's gear list:Phocal's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 150mm 1:2.0 Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow