A Modest Proposal About X100-Series Cameras

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 11,155
Re: A Modest Proposal About X100-Series Cameras

Jerry-astro wrote:

Ed B wrote:

There was a big push recently for DPR to start a forum for fixed prime lens camera that would have, naturally, included the X100 series along with other cameras like the Sony RX1 series, Leica Q, Ricoh GR series, and others that would even include older cameras like the Nikon Coolpix A.

I think the original thread was posted in the Sony forum and there was also a thread posted in the Site Feedback and Help forum.

Long story short is that after more than 140 comments every one supported the idea with the exception of one or two Mods.

DPR never responded and for the most part, the idea/suggestion was ignored.
Two things were obvious from these threads.

First, some mods didn't like the possibility that their precious forums might lose traffic because these cameras were being talked about in another forum.

Second, it proved, without a doubt, that DPR doesn't care one bit about what their forum members want.

Such is life.

I won’t try to speak for other Mods here... this is just my own view of your comments. First of all, just because DPR disagrees with a suggestion in no way suggests that they don’t care about what forum members want.

DPR didn't disagree or agree with the suggestion. They simply ignored it. They didn't have the decency to respond in any way.

Proliferating specialized forums is something that needs to be carefully considered, and simply because a group (even 140) of DPR members wants to see something like this does not necessarily mean that it’s a no brainer to make it happen or that it even makes sense when considering the broader range of forums that DPR already has. What’s more, you seem to assume that individual Mods have a strong say in this. Decisions like this one are made by DPR staff, not Mods. Individual Mods might have opinions, but we have little more say in the process than DPR members do. Your suggestion that a Mod might oppose this idea because of a loss of traffic in their forums is also simply ridiculous. We don’t get measured on volumes of posts.

I have no idea how a Mod's opinion affects decisions made by DPR but I agree with you 100% that a Mod's opinion is no more important than anyone else's.

My comment about the Mods was based on their response to the original thread. They had no valid reason for not wanting a "fixed prime lens camera" forum other than the fact that they wanted to ensure these cameras remained part of the normal equipment forums.

So, bottom line, I’m sorry that you didn’t achieve what you wanted, and I’m sure you’re looking for people to blame for this. Consider the possibility that your idea was considered but didn’t work within the framework that DPR has in mind for their forums. In other words, just because a group of forum members agrees on a direction does not necessarily mean that it fits well with DPR’s plans for forum organization or that it’s necessarily the right thing to do. As you said, such is life.

What gives you the impression that I'm looking for someone to blame for the fact that this suggestion wasn't implemented?  I don't really care about that and I simply stated facts in response to the OP's original post.

I am disappointed that DPR chose to completely ignore a suggestion that so many of their members wanted to be implemented but I agree that it's their site and that type of forum might not be as important as forums like Underwater Photography or DYI and Photo Experiments when it comes to DPR's plans for forum organization.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow