Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 at 2 miles (3.2 Km)

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
Albert Valentino Veteran Member • Posts: 9,023
Re: Olympus OM Zuiko 300mm f4.5 at 2 miles (3.2 Km)

Bassam Guy wrote:

drj3 wrote:

Put it in LR, use Dehaze and raise the exposure (it will be somewhat noisy because of the underexposure). It appears even in the underexposed image to be much better than I would expect at that distance.

Thanks. I know I could PP this and get something better but this is a lens test, or a test of my expectations. The picture itself is mundane, as I live near DC.

These results mean nothin. First, the underexposure means more noise which means less sharpness. But, more importantly, testing lens sharpness on a subject 2 miles away is almost pointless except on the clearest of days. Atmospheric haze, with all the suspended dust and dirt over that distance is akin to looking through a dusty window. Test with something close like vehicle license plates, or trees on a windless day. One count the sharpest results. The lesser ones from a set reflect technique and conditions, the sharpest ones reflect the lens itself

-- hide signature --

If you don't get older and wiser, than you just get older.

Albert Valentino's gear list:Albert Valentino's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow