OutsideTheMatrix
OP OutsideTheMatrix Senior Member • Posts: 7,460
Re: Planetary resolution with P900/P950/P1000

Augustin Man wrote:

It's a very impressive contribution!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing,

Augustin

Augustin please allow me to ask you the same question:

when using video mode, whether it's 4K30 or 1080P60, is the whole sensor used or just the actual pixels that make up the movie resolution (a crop from the center of the sensor in other words.) In which case I would think either 4K30 or 1080P60 would be fine since the image scale would be the same since all planets are too small to use up more than 1080 pixels anyway? If this is the case and the planets take up the same number of pixels regardless of whether you use 4K or 1080P, 1080P might be a little better because of the higher frame rate (60 vs 30). I think you still have your P900 so if you could see how movie mode works on it, a crop from the center of the sensor would render the same image scale as 4K on the P950 at the same focal length.  So in other words 1080P should actually give a much narrower FOV than taking a picture at the same focal length.

-- hide signature --

In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals, so that security and liberty may prosper together.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961

OutsideTheMatrix's gear list:OutsideTheMatrix's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow