Do you store your edited photos as RAW, JPG, (resolution, compression)?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
ggbutcher
ggbutcher Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Re: Do you store your edited photos as RAW, JPG, (resolution, compression)?

I essentially treat my raws as negatives, the canonical record of the capture.  From those, I make 800x600 quality=95 "proof" JPEGs in a batch process, and I keep both raws and proofs in a directory structure organized by year and event.  The file organization supports a web page viewing arrangement mainly for the benefit of my wife; 800x600 JPEGs are small enough not to need separate thumbnails when viewed across our home network.

I will delete egregious raws, sometimes in-camera, sometimes later at home reviewing the proofs.  But I keep most captures that are sharp and decently exposed.

A lot of times, especially for family snapshooting, the proof is the only rendition I produce.  If I decide to work an image for serious intent, I'll re-open the raw and re-apply the proof processing as a starting point, either to make another JPEG at a different resolution or somesuch, or to produce a TIFF for ingest with GIMP for things like cloning out undesired objects.  The only time I'll edit a JPEG will be if I need a quick crop for some specific reason.

ggbutcher's gear list:ggbutcher's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow