Used p7700 for a beginner?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
clengman
clengman Senior Member • Posts: 1,976
Used p7700 for a beginner?

Hello,

I'm shopping for a camera to give to my niece as a Christmas/Early birthday present. She'll be 12 in January and has shown an interest in photography. Another relative got her a Fuji instant camera a couple years ago and she uses it a lot, but she asked for a digital camera this year. I'm looking to spend in the neighborhood $100-150. My first inclination was something like a Sony RX100 or Panny LX-7. Something with good glass, good sensor for the price, utilitarian standard zoom range, and ability to control exposure manually.

I talked to my sister, though, and she says that my niece is definitely interested in taking photos of animals and wildlife. (Along with everything else. Pics of friends, buildings, landscapes, etc. etc.) I'm afraid 100mm-ish equivalent focal length on the telephoto end won't really cut it for that use. So now I'm leaning towards something like a Coolpix P7700. I think that seems to strike a good balance between low light capability and zoom range at this price point.

Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions for an inexpensive but good-quality, used camera that will be fun for her to use, will at least be passable for some telephoto as well as close up, and will allow her to learn about the technical aspect of photography?

I appreciate any suggestions.

clengman's gear list:clengman's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +6 more
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow