How good or bad is Sony 10-18?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gary stepic
gary stepic Veteran Member • Posts: 4,970
How good or bad is Sony 10-18?

I am tempted to sell my a7r3 and buy the a6600 and 10-18 lens. I would also add the 16-55 2.8 Sony. I like the idea of a smaller kit that will include the a7r4 and 24-105 Sony. I do not like to change lenses and have always liked using one camera with a mid range walk around zoom and another with an ultra wide zoom. Replacing the a7r3 and 16-35 4.0 Sony with the a6600 and 10-18 allows me to use a smaller bag I like to use when traveling.

Most of my photos will be used to post on the web. I am planning two trips to Europe next year. My goal is to come up with at least one large 6'x4' canvas print and several 36"x24" canvas prints for my home. I want to do a lot more video for this trip. I will be bring a monopod that is easy to travel with along with a small mini tripod I attach at the bottom. It is fairly sturdy if I do not extend monopod all the way. I use this set up for panos or for shots I know I will make a large print of.

My guess is for video the a6600 and 10-18 could be a good combo and in general good for most ultra wide shots. My hope is would also be good for fairly large canvas prints (up to 40"). I would most likely be shooting stopped down a bit with the 10-18, the more depth of field the better for filming and shooting in those narrow European streets.

I am curious if 10-18 owners are very satisfied with this lens? I love the size of this lens. From what I read corners are not good shooting wide open. I think for the vast majority of what I would shoot, including video, this will not be a problem. My guess is if stopped down to 5.6 or 8.0 even corners would be good enough for larger canvas prints. Correct me if I am wrong.

Gary

-- hide signature --
 gary stepic's gear list:gary stepic's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow