Blue Light Anti Reflective Coating Glasses

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Billiam29 Senior Member • Posts: 1,834
Re: Blue Light Anti Reflective Coating Glasses

Sean Nelson wrote:

Billiam29 wrote:

I’m not sure what you’re considering the “front” surface, but anti-reflective coating only needs to be applied to the interior surface of eyeglass lenses. The surface facing your eyes. For eyeglasses there’s really no functional purpose to having it applied to the “exterior” surface that faces away from your eyes.

All true, but you can see the colour tint from either the front or the back of the lens if you hold it at an oblique angle with light reflecting off the surface.

It may very well just come down to the practicalities of how a particular anti-reflective coating is applied. If it’s applied via a vapor deposition process it’s probably much easier to just have the lenses in open space on a fixture and let the coatings be applied on all surfaces.

I honestly don’t remember what I chose for the glasses I’m currently wearing. I definitely do remember the optician mentioning anti-reflective and scratch-resistant coatings specifically on the interior and exterior for at least some of the options we talked about. The possibilities may have involved the lens substrate material or what combinations of options would be covered under warranty. I just remember I went with Zeiss lenses.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow