Photographing with Higher MP bodies

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
FuhTeng
FuhTeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,280
Re: Photographing with Higher MP bodies

ShutterDude wrote:

While I wait for the Z7ii release, it'll give me some time to debate whether I should invest in that body vs the Z6ii - the main driver is the ability to crop if I need to given the higher MP count, and wanting to print larger prints as well.

Other than that, it was mentioned that using a higher megapixel body will be more sensitive to motion resulting in softer images, and as well the requirement for top notch optics. In other words, it's less forgiving that using a lower MP camera.

Can anyone chime more on this?

Thanks

Great question - I've seen this discussion over and over again. I try to avoid pixel-peeping and I find that this whole discussion is massively overblown. Yes, I use really good glass when the per-pixel acuity matters (wildlife for me - 500 f4, now I added a 500 PF, 70-200E) but otherwise I'm happy to use whatever's easy for landscape or portraits - 24-85VR on my D850, 24-70 f/4 on my Z6, 70-300 AFP on either.

Yes - use really good glass and technique if you really think you need per-pixel acuity to be maximized, but otherwise, whatever's easy is more important.

Happily everything released for Z-mount is at least good even on the Z7 (yes, even the 24-200 is good enough for me), and the majority is great all the way up to best-in-class.

-- hide signature --

"Our young men should spend more time considering the composition and merit of their images, and less time with magnifying glasses counting how many bricks and shingles they can resolve." - from a Paris newspaper article on Daguerrotype photography, from 1841. (and https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/05/1839-and-the-frenzy-that-followed)

FuhTeng's gear list:FuhTeng's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +12 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow