GH5 Scratched Sensor?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
felixgeen New Member • Posts: 6
GH5 Scratched Sensor?

Hello DPReview users,

I have a GH5 that I bought on eBay and recently discovered that the seller forgot to mention that when shooting above f/5 there are two big marks visible on the sensor.

So I bought a sensor cleaning kit on Amazon and tried carefully to clean the sensor myself, with no luck. Then I decided to take my camera to a professional camera shop in my city. They said they would certainly be able to clean this dirt off the sensor and charged me 29EUR for a 7 day wait. But when I went back to collect my camera today they told me that the sensor is actually scratched and there is no way to repair it.

I accepted this and walked away feeling disappointed. But the more I think about it the more I think it cant be the sensor which is scratched because when I look closely at some shots I can see the dirt/scratches move around when the camera is moving a lot.

Here is a cropped view of one of the the marks (no post effects or stabilisation is applied to this video, just a crop). Surely this means that the scratch/dirt must be on some piece of glass not touching the sensor since presumably this wobble is coming from the IBIS?

To make matters more confusing: on some shots with slightly less erratic camera movement (but still a lot of hand held camera wobble) the mark does no move at all, this is with IBIS enabled still:

Really struggling to understand exactly what is going on here and how much it will cost to repair since if a professional camera repair shop cant do it, then who can? and for how much money?

Kind regards,

Felix

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow