Screen on laptop vs desktop?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
noisebeam Senior Member • Posts: 2,934
Re: Screen on laptop vs desktop?

pajarrett wrote:

I'm in the process of switching from a desktop to a laptop right now. I have been using a Dell desktop for over 5 years with a 24" screen, my new laptop is a Dell XPS 15 with a 10th gen i7 chip and 64GB of memory. Compared to my desktop it is a screamer. Yes, the laptop has a smaller screen, but I will use my larger screen (along with the laptop screen in a two screen setup) while I am home. The laptop will give me a chance to work on photos while I am on the road. It is fairly heavy, but I don't plan on carting it around with me all the time, just leaving it where I am staying (usually an RV) while I am on the road. Since I have the laptop connected to a docking station (really a box now days), I have the best of both worlds. It is basically a desktop at home that I can take with me on trips. Good luck with your choice.

BTW, I was testing the new laptop yesterday and I had it process a 50 photo (each from a D850, raw) multi-row-HDR panorama in Lightroom. It chewed through the work in about 5 min. The same pano in my older desktop took about 25 min. but crashed before it finished.

Which Dell XPS 15 did you get, what are the other specs?

noisebeam's gear list:noisebeam's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow