Blue Light Anti Reflective Coating Glasses

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 14,143
Re: Blue Light Anti Reflective Coating Glasses

Anti-reflective coating is not the same as "blue blocker" - it's a thin coating meant to prevent light from reflecting off the lenses. You see this in camera lenses, and in that application it's very important because those lenses have many elements which can reflect light and cause flare and lower contrast in the picture. The coating is a lot less important in eyeglasses because there's only one element. The only difference I can imagine is that it might reduce a bit of reflections from the rear that you pick up in the extreme outer corners of the lens.

My glasses are coated, but I can't really tell if the coating makes much of a difference.

The coating will appear to have a bit of a blue or purplish tint if you take the glasses off and look at the front surface obliquely to see the light reflected off it, but it doesn't affect the light passing through to your eye and you don't need to worry about colour shifts.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
MOD Austinian
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow