Photographing with Higher MP bodies

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 5,362
Re: More pixels = good even with bad lenses

EricTheAstroJunkie wrote:

abera wrote:

ShutterDude wrote:

While I wait for the Z7ii release, it'll give me some time to debate whether I should invest in that body vs the Z6ii - the main driver is the ability to crop if I need to given the higher MP count, and wanting to print larger prints as well.

Other than that, it was mentioned that using a higher megapixel body will be more sensitive to motion resulting in softer images, and as well the requirement for top notch optics. In other words, it's less forgiving that using a lower MP camera.

Can anyone chime more on this?

Thanks

More pixels -> more resolution. More pixels does not require a better lens or technique. The worst case scenario is that you'll get just the same resolution for the output you would get with a smaller pixel count, but in practise you'll get more details even if you shoot through a beer bottle quality glass.

You can think of it like this: the lens draws the image and all the sensor does it chops the image that has been drawn into millions of little parts - chopping it into more, smaller parts doesn't make the image the lens has already drawn any worse.

Quite simply without going into the mind-numbing discussion of it all, higher resolution sensors reveal optical imperfections to a much greater degree. So yes, higher resolution cameras do require better lenses to take advantage of that resolution.

Only if (as beatboxa explained so well) the intention is to crop and/or enlarge the image to a greater degree.

This caveat is sadly often omitted when people say that higher-MP cameras are more sensitive to subject motion blur.

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow