Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,954
Re: Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

nickels25 wrote:

Dan_168 wrote

I never advise people buying a FF to crop to APS C or MFT FOV, buy a FF and use it as a FF and buy a MFT and use it as a MFT to take advantage of each of those format. buying FF and use it as MFT is waste of money and not getting the real benefit of this format. if you always have to do heavy cropping and your lens is always feels too short on FF, but a MFT with a 100-400 or 150-400. it will save you a lot of money and you will get a much better result also. why would anyone spend that money for a 80MP FF so he/she can use it as a 20MP MFT? there is tons of cheap 20MP MFT out there. just my 2 cents.........

To be clear, I wouldn’t be cropping every single shot to MFT FOV. This cropping in that I discuss would only be used as a ”one off” option to get the shot of a far-away subject where a little bit more reach would be beneficial. In these cases, I was curious if it would have the same quality as a MFT long telephoto lens.
however, it appears that, even with the Z7, I would only have about 11 megapixels to work with if I crop to MFT FOV.

I see.  Yes, I would say in most case if you crop your FF image to the same 2X crop factor as the MFT, it's safe to say you normally don't get the same resolution as your real MFT camera as there is no 80MP FF yet. but this is resolution only, many different factors involved also when it comes to image quality.  my suggestion is still keep both and use them for the right application.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow