Z6ii Z7ii bird thread

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DGriesmer
DGriesmer New Member • Posts: 16
Re: Z6ii Z7ii bird thread

I had a chance to get out yesterday and shoot some short eared owls with the Z6ii in the rain connected to an old-school 500mm F4 AFS II.   
Neither of these  shots are award winning, and they're 2megapickle crops sent to my phone via snapbridge so they won't hold up to pixel peeping, but they are sharp and part of a burst of 5-8 shots that the Z6ii nailed focus in every time.  Granted it helps that the birds were further away so the AF-system has more margin for error.

Shortly after I took these the rain and wind came in, which killed the action.  I didn't have very many opportunities of close-ish proximity to continue testing, but here are some of my initial impressions.
The AF speed in decent light seems to be plenty fast.   I can't say for sure if it's as fast as my D4s, but it's certainly very quick to focus in AF-C.   I've found I can help the AF-system greatly if I manually prefocus as close to the bird as possible before actually hitting the AF-On button and locking focus as the birds come in closer proximity.  This seems to help prevent the Af-system from focusing on the background which I hardly encountered at all using AF-C wide area.

I plan on continuing to test this combination in the future.

-- hide signature --

- Danny

DGriesmer's gear list:DGriesmer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow