Which camera models have a focus issue with the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Street_Photography
OP Street_Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,701
Re: Which camera models have a focus issue with the Sigma 30mm f1.4?

aerondight wrote:

Street_Photography wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Sony A6xxx series camera just so I can get the Sigma 30mm f1.4 and 56mm f1.4. But I remember considering it in the past and was thrown off when I saw that there was a problem with focusing, might have been at certain apertures and was a while ago so might have just been with the 30mm.

Please can you tell me which cameras have a problem with the Sigma lenses for autofocus?Quick autofocus is a big deal to me. As I am already on team Fuji I would like to buy the cheapest Sony possible, but the cheapest that focuses fast with the Sigmas. I know the latest Sony cameras have amazing autofocus but I will settles for decent speed i.e. no hunting and speed like you get with the mechanical focusing pancake lenses like the Panasonic 20mm and Fuji 18mm. Won’t be using video. Thanks.

Ps. Before anyone suggests I get the Viltrox lenses instead, I have discounted those because they have bad CA and focusing issues on my generation of Fujis. When I was with M43 I was in love with the Sigmas (16, 30 1.4 and 60), so I would rather go back to what I know as long as the focus speed is good. The 30 and 60 weren’t perfect at focusing on Panasonic cameras, but they were almost there and much faster than the Panasonic 20mm pancake.

I heard there were problems with all bodies - not sure how related settings/user error there are. But newer bodies such as the a6100 should be good due to the new AF system.

#2 & 3 search hit on dpreview is the a6500 & a6400..

https://www.google.com/search?q=sigma+30+autofocus+site%3Awww.dpreview.com

I have this on my a6000 & a6400 and the newer body is of course faster.

If you use the updated models and keep the firmware updated, you should be fine.

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/download/lenses/firmware/popups/c_30_14/

Thanks, that’s exactly the information I needed. Much appreciated 🙏

Street_Photography's gear list:Street_Photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 II Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow