Photographing old negatives / workflow

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 27,227
Re: Photographing old negatives / workflow

frankjoke wrote:

I did converted thousands of my old negatives because I had all negatives reserved.

I photographed them with a macro lens on my D850 where I used a flash at the back of the negative in RAW format.

On my DXO RAW converter I reversed the RGB tones which led to real colors instead the negative ones.

The good side was that I could user white balance (with pipette or settings) after that which means I corrected most of the color problems.

I tried before same with LR but it was not so easy to get good results results, but I anyhow do not user LR for RAW conversion because DXO generates better results (for me, I user LR only for import and face detection!).

I do have the necessary equipment to do that as well, including the 60mm macro lens, but I still prefer the use of scanners. Removing scratches is also much easier with the scanners I have, as opposed to taking pictures of the film images and clean them at PP. My Canon Canoscan 9000F mark II allows me to scan several frames at the same time and automatically "cuts" those to individual images, which is a huge help for selecting which images are wort keeping, which not, and which might be worth spending more time on with serious PP or scan at very high resolution with my film/slide scanner.

olyflyer's gear list:olyflyer's gear list
Nikon Z7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow