Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started Nov 21, 2020 | Discussions thread
Qbalion
Qbalion Contributing Member • Posts: 605
Re: Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

I do not have any experience with FF (except old analog times) so I have few questions:

Dan_168 wrote:

I own multiple format systems and here is how I see it. to me the FF offer huge image quality advantage, I really mean huge, the noise performance, and the shallow DOF control,

Do you mean that with the same FL and DOF you can stay closer to your subject with FF camera?

the rendering of image, to me that makes me to favor FF.

What do you mean with the rendering?

the only good thing I see in M4/3 is size, so if size is an important factor, stay with MFT, like you said, the 100-400 for example, you will not find such 200-800 equivalent thing in FF , at least not in the same price range and size for sure.

so I would say it's better to run both system and choose and pick the " right lens" for each, you don't have to duplicate everything, you can use the FF for portrait, taking advantage of the DOF control,, say a really cheap FF 85 1.8 still work better than the expensive MFT 45 1.2. a 35 1.8 is much cheaper and still works better than a 17 F0.95 MFT lens.

Also taking advantage of the high ISO advantage of FF when you need to shoot in those situation, and don't forget wide angle is much easier with FF, tons of 14-16 MM FL range FF option from super cheat to expensive. way more than MFT. .

Then keeping the MFT for super telephoto work, such as the 100-400 you mentioned, and if you are really into long lens, the new 150-400 F4.5 with built in TC is a dream lens for you, imagine to get a 800mm F4.5 lens in FF, how big and how expensive will that be?

I personally rent the EM1X for few weeks when it first come out, but i did not like the image quality so I decided to spend my $3000 elsewhere, but if the 150-400 were available at that point and I am bird shooter, it's hard to resist that combo.

Investing in Z7 to keep the crop of a high res (discussed in another thread) seems not that bad idea except price but for the one who wants one system I think I'd prefer to stay with Z6II for indoors and portraits/events and maybe Z50 for cropped long FL shoots...

Hmm interesting

Qbalion's gear list:Qbalion's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow