Canon EF 50mm f/1.2 L USM lens

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Arthur Stanley Jefferson Contributing Member • Posts: 710
50mm F1.2 EF looks typical...

..personally I think the 50L you have looks like that at f1.2, try it at F2 and it will be razor sharp. Most of my older lenses are optimum at 2/3 of a stop down from full open.

....I know nowadays most demand a F1.2 lens to be sharp wide open... (and the RF lenses are for a price)... but your chart looks typical for that lens wide open.

I had the Sigma Art 50 F1.4, but returned it, as although it was amazingly sharp, it was often totally missing focus at various apertures, this was on a tripod on static subjects.

It was random and erratic on both my 5D mk3s. I had the dock and tuned it many times. It would work perfectly, then start missing randomly again.

As a point of reference I had the Canon 50 F1.4 for years which was good from F2 and never missed, but dropped it on a marble floor and retired it.

I bought a Canon 35mm F1.4 mk2 after my time with the Sigma. Now that lens is phenomenal wide open.

Good luck

Arthur Stanley Jefferson's gear list:Arthur Stanley Jefferson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow