Content-Aware Grain

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 10,277
Content-Aware Grain

For months I've been intrigued by the content-aware grain tool in Exposure X6.

Finally today I downloaded the 30 day free trial (480mb) and began to experiment.

I have a windows 10 machine with core i5 and 8GB ram. Until I turned off the default GPU selection my computer froze at least twice and I had to physically shut off power to get back control. So, beware.

As a new user I find the file interface very quirky and strange, but I'm used to just going to any file and hitting open, as I do in Photoshop Elements 2020. You don't save a file either, you go to a function called "Export" and you have to plug in whatever file name you want, except I can't change the original file name. For example if the file is PS0024 and I want it to be "orange peel" I can't do that. The "Export" function is too "smart" for me! Again, beware!

Anyway I did get one test shot processed in spite of Exposure's efforts to stop me. It is from my X-T100, taken last year. See what you think and please let me know your opinions. Is it better than other grain tools? Does the grain look film-natural?

Here we see the grain tool controls. The tool gives you individual control of grain in shadow, midtone, and highlight areas, and if you are adding grain to a color image you can adjust the amount of grain that is multicolored, relative to the luminance grain.

Here is the image with added grain: more grain in shadows and less grain in highlights.

Here is the image without added grain.

FYI, here is a link to a grain tool tutorial from Exposure:

https://exposure.software/tutorial/adding-film-grain/

Finally, I'm still on the fence about buying Exposure X6 since the cost is $149.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Copper: Mankind's favorite electrical conductor

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow