For Sony Shooters - Remember ClearImage Zoom

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DenverSteve Contributing Member • Posts: 528
For Sony Shooters - Remember ClearImage Zoom

Even as a Sony-exclusive shooter, I sometimes forget all the features in the Sony bodies. Sometimes I work through the menu to refresh myself.  I tend to forget about the ClearImage Zoom capability.  for those that don't know, or remember, ClearImage Zoom is a feature that allows the user to internally zoom any lens, zoom or prime, up to 2X from where they are.  So, If you are shooting a 50 1.8 you actually have a 50-100 mounted on your camera.

It's a great feature whether you're trying to spread the range of a single or few lenses or if you have a dozen lenses you want to get some extra range from.  Unlike "digital" zooms that many cameras have, there is no noticeable quality loss. Here are a few of examples on a walk today with a Sony 85mm f1.8 shot with no zoom and 2X zoom.

It's GREAT feature especially for someone starting with one lens and building a kit. The only downside I've found is that you can't use it when in RAW + JPG. I keep a custom button set so there's no need to go into the menu to activate it then zoom it with the rear wheel left and right buttons.

Shot at 85 with no ClearImage Zoom

From same position with ClearImage Zoom set at 2X

Shot at 85 with no ClearImage Zoom

ClearImage Zoom set at 2X

85mm with no ClearImage Zoom

85mm with ClearImage Zoom at 2X

-- hide signature --

Meter, Compose, Focus, Shoot..... Repeat
Steve

DenverSteve's gear list:DenverSteve's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony RX10 IV Sony a7R II Sony a6500 Sony a7R IV +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow