Possibly moving to full-frame mirrorless from m4/3’s

Started Nov 21, 2020 | Discussions thread
OP CedarTree33 Contributing Member • Posts: 554
Re: Two quick and easy reasons

ZapperVT wrote:

avalvo wrote:

- Yes, lenses on FF are getting smaller. But, that is only if you are comparing the slower FF lenses, say a 50mm 1.8 to say a 25mm Oly 1.2. They are about the same size, but the Oly is still a faster lens and can be shot at 1.2.

f/1.2 in M43 is equivalent to f/2.4 on FF. Or, f/1.8 on FF is equivalent to f/0.9 on M43. Functionally, the FF f/1.8 has a one stop advantage over the M43 f/1.2.

If you shoot with at 25mm f/1.2 on M43 FF and 50mm f/2.4 , with the same shutter speed and two stops faster ISO on FF, you will have images that are very close in field of view, depth of field, motion blur, and image quality. This is because for the same f number, the diameter of the entrance pupil scales with the crop factor. It is twice as big for full frame, letting in 4 times as much light at the same f number. If you go to f/1.8 on FF, you have an image with a depth of field one stop smaller and an IQ potentially one stop higher than possible with f/1.2 on M43.

Overall, I’m happy with the Oly f1.2 in regards to DOF and image quality. Where I struggle is having to bump up the ISO on m4/3 in lower light situations (more so with the Oly telephoto lenses...not the primes).

You may object that in terms of exposure, f/1.2 is still f/1.2, and you would have to use a slower shutter speed or higher ISO on the FF f/1.8 lens to get the same exposure wide open. That is part of the equivalency. If you shoot at the same shutter speed and wide open with both lenses, you will have to increase the ISO by 1 stop on FF to get the correct exposure. But a FF sensor has a two stop advantage in noise vs IQ, so you still end up with a 1 stop advantage in IQ on the FF system.

this is what has brought me to this question. My understanding is that at the same f no. I can get more light to the sensor with the FF options. BUT, I sacrifice cost and size of the lens. Which is a drawback. There is a good point made above that I may not gain much by swapping out a m4/3 lens with a FF lens with the equivalent f no.  (For example: Oly 12-100 f4 for Nikon 24-200 f4-6.3)

Source: Here's an article on equivalency by one expert.

Thanks. I’ll give this a read.

CedarTree33's gear list:CedarTree33's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS R5 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 25mm F1.2 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCB
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow