Monument Valley

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,917
Re: Monument Valley

john559 wrote:

mfinley wrote:

Maybe not such a loss overall. It's nice to go to Monument Valley at least once, but for pure adventure and beauty for exploration and photography, everything you want is north of Monument Valley - Mexican Hat, Bluff & Blanding hold a lot more than Monument Valley can dream of and hardly anybody knows it, and all without the draconian controls limiting you and Disney like experiences.

I hate to disagree but MV is far from a contrived experience. I first visited in 1981 when it was still under the domain of the National Parks. Its only right that this iconic place be

given back under the governance of the Navajo nation. The restrictions on going beyond the public 17 mile loop (which is spectacular) is because the land is privately owned now and provides an income source to the tribe. I have stayed in a Navajo ho'gan onsite, the View hotel and camped on Hunt's Mesa, there is plenty to do and see and I have no objection to paying for the privilege, the same as anywhere else in the world. Yes, you cannot buy alcohol or lottery tickets in the Navajo nation including Mexican Hat because of their history of being exploited, I do not consider that draconian at all.

I think you've given a good description of the historic background, but it doesn't change the reality of the experience of visiting there.

When they haul out the guy on the horse for you to take pictures of on John Ford point.... that there is one trail you are allowed on, everything really interesting is only accessible via paid tour...hey, it's theirs to do as they want. I wonder how far away they are from establishing markings for our tripod legs to go.

I'm not saying don't go, I only said it wasn't such a giant loss that he couldn't get in. As I said it's nice to go to Monument Valley at least once, but for pure adventure and beauty for exploration and photography, everything you want is north of Monument Valley.

To each their own, some people enjoy seeing only what someone else allows them to see while riding a segway, others enjoy exploring a slot canyon without a refreshment and souvenir stand at the entrance.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow