Yongnuo YN24EX as Master + Canon 600EX-RT as Slave

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
DaveInMD
DaveInMD Regular Member • Posts: 366
Yongnuo YN24EX as Master + Canon 600EX-RT as Slave

The Yongnuo flash, according to documentation, "Supports Master TTL Flash". I'm assuming they mean E-TTL, since the only modes the flash supports are E-TTL and Manual.

I'm having no luck at all. I have checked the manuals, verified I'm set to optical slave on the Canon flash, tried all channels, and tried various other settings. I understand the 600EX-RT doesn't support slave operation except with a compatible Canon flash as master. But I was hoping the YN24EX, being Canon compatible and claiming to work as master, would work with the 600EX-RT as an optical slave. I did verify that the YN24EX is doing the E-TTL preflash.

I have a feeling I can't get there from here. Maybe I misunderstood what the Yongnuo flash was claiming in their documentation? I will rarely want to use a slave flash to the Yongnuo, but I was hoping the Canon flash would work as an optical slave.

Has anyone tried to get the 600EX-RT to work as an optical slave to the YN24EX?

DaveInMD's gear list:DaveInMD's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +7 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow