Photographing old negatives / workflow

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 823
Re: Photographing old negatives / workflow

michaeladawson wrote:

I would second the use of 3rd party software for color negative conversion. If it's a photography science experiment and hobby feel free to develop your own process and profiles. I suppose it could be a fun project if that's your type of thing. If the goal is to convert negatives then I think 3rd party software is the way to go.

I have tested out Negative Lab Pro and I think it is very good. I haven't gotten up the energy to start my full scale conversion process yet. VueScan is also pretty good and it's not just for scanners, as the name might imply. It goes without saying that the light source used for the negative capture is the first step in getting good conversions.

Thanks, Michael. I may have to decide to move to Adobe. I will continue looking for the moment. Fortunately most of my archive is shot on Vericolor so if I can find a good balance it should work for my needs.

I will use an LED light panel and a diffuser as a light source.

As I complete my setup I will post images.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow