How the R5 Lightens the load for Wildlife Trips (Africa)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
David M. Anglin
OP David M. Anglin Senior Member • Posts: 1,722
Re: How the R5 Lightens the load for Wildlife Trips (Africa)

dgumshu wrote:

I can certainly understand wanting to lighten the load for a long trip. All of the comments on this thread make sense. My only concern with carrying large heavy gear on a plane would be using a large Backpack. Often times, if and when boarding smaller jets, they may not allow larger bags for Carry-on. I would not want my gear in a Backpack if It was required to be checked in. While that is not always the case, it does happen. I’ve read stories of photographers having to pull their 600mm lenses and other gear out of their backpacks to carry-on while their bags were checked in. However, that would be less of a concern on large international jets.
Personally, I would use a Pelican 1510 carry-on and Lowepro AW75 as a personal bag, but that’s just me being cautious. Good luck with your trip.

I always carry a foldable duffel (eagle creek) in my carry on bag when I have camera gear.  If necessary, you can pull the main gear and wrap in some clothing for protection.  I wouldn't' want to sue this as an alternative to my camera bag, but you can make this small enough to fit under the seat or in a small overhead.  Not ideal, but it works and you know your gear is not going to get lost.

David M. Anglin's gear list:David M. Anglin's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon Extender EF 1.4x III Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Fsi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow