Upgrade from Af-s 12-24 f/4? UWA opinions

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris De Schepper Senior Member • Posts: 1,323
Re: Upgrade from Af-s 12-24 f/4? UWA opinions

vcxz wrote:

I am by no means a pro but I was wondering a similar question--what is going to be my preferred city travel lens kit? I took some of my wider DX lenses to my backyard for a test. Some people have amazing wildlife nearby, I have Wrigley Field, which I think is representative for travel photography.

I know the shutter speeds are different, I took shots from ~1/10 to 1/50 for each lens and selected my favorite of those without looking at EXIF data. Then I just did auto settings on Lightroom and lowered the highlights a bit so the neon wasn't blown out.

I'm not really a pixel peeper (except for cropped wildlife) so honestly the 10-20mm AFP and 10-24 Tamron look the same. If anything for some reason I personally like the Tamron rendering more, can't really explain why.

I was surprised how the Fuji came dead last to me. I don't know if it's just the different field of view or what. Some of my favorite pictures were taken with this lens so honestly I was expecting this to be #1.

So my resolution is if I'm traveling really light, I'll take the 10-20mm AFP with the D5600. The Tamron 10-24mm feels really heavy on the D5600 but would be fine on a D500. The "problem" I have with the Tamron 10-24mm is that and the D500 is basically the same size as a D850 with the 17-34. So DX isn't really saving me any room in my bag unless I also need a 24-70 or 70-300, whose DX equivalents are lighter.

thanks for posting those pictures.  I had a close look and for me the picture with the 10-20 nikon looks better than the one with the tamron 10-24.  It looks everywhere a  bit sharper, but the tamron picture looks very blurry on the left . Is that because a difference of focusing, view point ?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow