Monument Valley

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
john559 Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Monument Valley

mfinley wrote:

Maybe not such a loss overall. It's nice to go to Monument Valley at least once, but for pure adventure and beauty for exploration and photography, everything you want is north of Monument Valley - Mexican Hat, Bluff & Blanding hold a lot more than Monument Valley can dream of and hardly anybody knows it, and all without the draconian controls limiting you and Disney like experiences.

I hate to disagree but MV is far from a contrived experience.  I first visited in 1981 when it was still under the domain of the National Parks.  Its only right that this iconic place be

given back under the governance of the Navajo nation.  The restrictions on going beyond the public 17 mile loop (which is spectacular) is because the land is privately owned now and provides an income source to the tribe.  I have stayed in a Navajo ho'gan onsite, the View hotel and camped on Hunt's Mesa, there is plenty to do and see and I have no objection to paying for the privilege, the same as anywhere else in the world. Yes, you cannot buy alcohol or lottery tickets in the Navajo nation including Mexican Hat because of their history of being exploited, I do not consider that draconian at all.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow